Today, I was creating a marketing plan and strategy for one of the SaaS clients in my office. It was a start-up and it’s been almost 2 months since the product was launched. When I asked this client why this product website has not been indexed yet in Google then he mentioned he is not that much aware of these things and probably his marketing team handled that job. While I was inspecting his Google search console, I hardly see its submission over there.
I immediately created a new property and submitted the sitemap in order to get it indexed and promised him to get done the further steps once this project commences. Today, I thought to write a post on this topic to explain how one can get his website indexed in Google search engine.
What is Google’s Index and Why It’s Important?
You might have heard the term Telephone directory that keeps a record of all the area-specific telephone numbers. Likewise, in search engine’s reference, the term indexing means Google lists all those running web pages and keep a reference with it. SO whenever a search query is placed under the search bar, if your web page fulfills the indexing criteria and your own optimized search engine results pages, your listing appears there.
So, imagine a case where you have an online business, and your business website’s indexing is not completed by Google. Will it be a profitable scenario? If your website does not appear for a search term or induce any positive value through organic or natural search, it’s high time to work on it.
How to know if your website is listed or indexed?
Well, when you place the below-mentioned search query in Google’s search bar, you should see plenty of results listed for your website. So, these are the numerous results indicates that your site has been indexed by Google.
Suppose there is a website that needs to be checked for indexing and it’s not yet indexed by Google, so in such a case, there would be no or fewer search results.
The key step to getting your website indexed ASAP is to submit it into the Google search console when it’s live. And also, before submitting to the Google search console, there are 2 important points you need to take care of.
- Make sure you have created an XML sitemap and uploaded it to the root directory of your website server.
- A robots.txt file is done and uploaded to the root directory too to make sure the Google bot or crawler could go through with
If you don’t know how to do these 2 important steps mentioned above, you can simply contact us for help. We will be helping you to get these steps done professionally.
Once you are done with this, the next step is to submit your website to the Google search console, and to do that, here are the step by step guide you need to follow:
- Browse Google Search Console by typing search.google.com/search-console in your browser.
- Locate the URL inspection tool.
- Paste your website URL you’d like Google to index into the search bar.
- Wait for Google to inspect the URL.
- Click the “Request indexing” button.
And you are done with the primary indexing job. Now you need to work on some SEO tags. I am listing a few tags to expedite the indexing process:
- Rogue noindex tags: A no-index tag simply instructs the search engine crawler not to index the pages. So make sure this tag is applied to the meaningful pages. Check these 2:
- Meta Tags: Check the meta tags for the page which is not getting indexed. If you find a no-index tag, remove it for indexing.
- X-Robots-Tag: Use the URL inspection tool from Google’s search console and you will see the pages having X-Robots-Tag. Simply get it removed for the page you want to be indexed.
- Canonical tags: A tag that tells search engine crawler not to index that page as there exists a second version of that page that is already submitted or indexed. So again, you can check for these in the same Google’s search Console via URL inspection utility.
Lastly, you need to adhere to quality content for all your pages indexing as the content is the only source of information for the search engines and it finds the highest quality pages first to add values in user’s search or organic listings.